Music video with incredible snapshots
Magnitude: 9.1 (upgraded from 8.9, tying Aceh 2004)
Confirmed death toll to date: 11,620
Worst hit: the northeast: Miyagi, Iwate, Fukushima
Missing: 88,000 (3/12).
Internally displaced (evacuated): 500,000
Buildings damaged: 76,000 (incl. destroyed: 6,300)
Value of housing damage: 5 to trillion yen
Total economic damage: $310 billionDeath Toll Updates
Source: news wires.
- The UK Telegraph has a timeline of the disaster, from tsunami to nuclear crisis.
- Curated tweets & news on current events in Japan via New York Times
The Nuclear Crisis
- Nuclear crisis widens in Japan, Council on Foreign Relations.
- Japan’s triple crisis, Council on Foreign Relations with numerous links to in-depth “must read” analysis
- Workers strain to retake control after blast and fire at Japan plant, New York Times
- Radiation fears after Japan blast, BBC
- Spent fuel rods may have burned in blaze at nuclear plant, CNN
- Are Japan’s Neighbors At Risk?, TIME
- In Fuel-Cooling Pools, a Danger for the Longer Term, NYT
- VIDEO: Japan’s radiation risk explained, BBC
- Radiation rising and heading south in Japan, STRATFOR
- BBC Chief Science Advisor on assessment of radiation danger in Japan
- The Japan Syndrome, Economist
Internally Displaced & Challenges
- Millions in Japan freeze without electricity, heat, MSNBC
- Anxious foreigners flee Japan, Washington Post
- How to Give to Japanese Recovery Efforts Without Getting Scammed [Charity], Lifehacker
- Japan Relief Workers: Smell of Fear Hangs Heavy in Air, Christian Post
- Int’l rescue teams ready for Japan quake relief, People’s Daily
- Nuclear threat is complicating Japan relief, IMB
Long-Term & Financial impact
- Wall Street to drop as Japan crisis worsens, MSNBC
- Japan quake, tsunami could hit global production, PhysOrg.com
- Japan to pay long-term price, Asia Times Online
- Fears of health risks rise amid Japan crisis, PhysOrg.com
International offers of aid
- S. Korea to support Japan’s energy needs after quake
- Aid offers after quake. See also UK Guardian article.
Video, Photography, Special Stories on the Situation
- VIDEO: Thousands left homeless in Japan, BBC
- Disasters wipe little Japanese fishing town off the map
- Before & After photos of Japan
- BBC footage of the moment the tsunami it
- Gizmodo: stunning first person video of the tsunami entering a city
- National Geographic with “20 unforgettable pictures”
- TIME/CNN video: Kesennuma, Japan – an amazing, awe-inspiring video of the tsunami wiping a city off the map.
- Japanese pastor shares his experience of the disaster and prays for a “tsunami of love” to sweep Japan.
Tech Companies Initiatives